Thursday, September 20, 2012

WHAT DO TRIATHLETES DO AFTER IRONMAN - GET A TATTOO!


Why?
If you knew what I went through you wouldn't have to ask. 

What?
Unlike my first tattoo which was just number 27 on page 12 of a 50 page Tattoo sample book, my IM tattoo has a deep significance, at least to me.  It symbolized the perseverance, character and hope that flows through my veins.  For two years, participation in the world's toughest endurance race eluded me as I faced another challenged - resuming the ability to walk, then run. The only motivator during these deep, desperate, and depressing times, besides my love for my children, was my desire to reach the starting line of the Ironman. I knew, deep down inside, that if I was to ever speak to young adults about not giving up, working hard, and keeping your head up when everyone else is looking down at you; I had to practice what I preached. 

The IM tattoo is a personal symbol of what I went through and a sign to never forget what I had to do to overcome it.  It's time to share this message with others.

How?
As I sat with Ryan, the Tattoo artist from Raw Ink Studios, I tried to explain what I wanted. I shared my idea of a rolling IV stand hooked into the M.dot logo.  I wanted to capture the image of the Ironman Challenge flowing through my blood. It would be a reminder that in all life's challenges, if one keeps hope, persistence and courage; you will overcome.

Ryan took one look at the veins in my arms and said who needs an IV. The rest is history. 


1 comment:

  1. How did I not know about your blog! I LOVE it. And your tattoo is awesome. Every day I look at mine I know that I have the strength for the day.

    I think I might need to meet Ryan for tat #2. Where is Raw Ink?!

    You are an amazing inspiration. Congratulations Ironman!

    ReplyDelete